logo: EH - Your key to CHOICE (link goes to Home page) Click for printable copy of adverts | Partially sighted information
Housing Association Logoslogo: The City of Edinburgh Council (link goes to website)
What is EH - Your key to CHOICE?
How does it work?

The Council and 16 of the EdIndex landlords let their available homes through the choice based letting scheme called EH Your Key to Choice.

If you want to be considered for a home you will need to:
  • Register with EdIndex
  • Browse through the empty homes available
  • Submit up to 3 bids for the homes you are interested in
What is EdIndex?

EdIndex is a partnership between the Council and 20 Housing Associations and Housing Co-operatives in Edinburgh. You only need to complete one application form to register for housing with all the landlords.

You can apply for housing with EdIndex if you are 16 years or older, whether or not you currently live or work in Edinburgh.

Please note, if you have come to Britain from abroad it is possible that you may not be eligible for Council housing.

How do I get an application form?

It’s easy to apply for a home. You can download the EdIndex application form here. Please note you are not able to complete the form on line. You can also pick up a form from any of the EdIndex landlords.

Once completed you should post the form to: The EdIndex Team, Waverley Court 1.4, 4 East Market Street, Edinburgh, EH8 8BG. If it is easier you can hand in the form to any of the Council Neighbourhood Offices. The current cost to post the form using second class mail is £1.10.

What happens next?

Once we’ve received your application form we will aim to process it within 5 working days. We will then write to you with your unique EdIndex Reference Number. You will need this number to bid.

How do I bid for a home?
  • Remember you can get a free copy of the paper at:
    • Council Neighbourhood Offices
    • EdIndex landlords
    • Local libraries
  • You can also access the website free at your local library.
  • You can select up to three homes every week.
  • Once you’ve selected your homes fill in the bidding form.
  • We must receive your bid by the advertised closing date which is always 3.30pm on a Friday.
  • If we don’t receive it by the closing date you will not be considered for the homes you have picked.
  • If you are successful you will be contacted by the landlord after the closing date.
  • If you are unsuccessful you will not be contacted and should carry on bidding.
What homes can I bid for?

Waiting time

When you register with EdIndex, you will build up waiting time which is measured in days. How this is calculated will depend on whether you are a Starter or a Mover.

Each advert is marked as either a Starter (S) or Mover (M). This means you can only bid for homes marked with the category that applies to you.

Starters are homes for people who are :
  • Homeless
  • Staying with a friend or relative
  • Staying in a hostel
  • Staying in supported accommodation
  • Renting a house or flat from a private landlord
Waiting time for Starters is calculated from the date your EdIndex form is registered. For example a Starter registered with EdIndex for one year has 365 waiting days and will build up a further day for every day registered.

Movers are homes for people who are :
  • A Council tenant
  • A Housing Association or Housing Co-operative tenant
  • A joint tenant with the Council, Housing Association or Housing Co-operative
  • Tenant of tied accommodation that is provided by your employer
  • An owner occupier of a home (you may have a mortgage)
Waiting time for Movers is calculated from the date you moved into your current home. For example if you have been in your home for 10 years you will have 3,650 waiting days and will build up a day for every day you remain in your current home.

Important – A Mover’s waiting time can only be calculated if you have answered question 11 on the EdIndex application form. That is - What date did you move into your current property?

What size of home can I bid for?

If you bid for a home that is too big or too small for your needs, then your bid will not be considered.

You can click on the Council
letting policy to see how many bedrooms you are entitled to.

The other landlords have different age and sharing criteria. This will be included in the advert or you can contact the landlord directly for advice.

When am I able to view the home?

If you’re successful in your bid, a Housing Officer will arrange an appointment for you to view the home.

Remember, although the home is advertised, the current tenant may still be living there. We ask you to respect their privacy and not to contact them directly.

What can I do if my home is too big for me now?

If you currently live in a Council home with 3 or more bedrooms and it is too big for you, contact us to discuss your options. If you live in a Housing Association home that you feel is too big for you, please contact your landlord directly.

Please note rules vary for the other partner landlords in EdIndex.

Do all the EdIndex landlords let their homes through EH Your Key to Choice?

No. 4 landlords let their homes through a traditional points based system. They do not advertise their homes through EH Your Key to Choice. They will contact you when a house becomes available.

Cookie Policy / Terms and Conditions, Your Privacy and External Links ^ back to top